I've been mentally feeling in a bit of a rut. Lack of motivation and energy resulted in a lot of naps and mood swings. Yes yes I know I am pregnant and it comes with the territory but It's definitely something I am not used to. I wanted to get out of my hole and knew that one thing would make it better...
.... running in a race.
Time wasn't of the essence. It's just to be able to participate in a race and surround myself with runners. I needed to wake up like I would any race morning, prep a bit and get my butt off the couch. I didn't even tell my husband that I was doing this until after I registered. I sent him the confirmation saying "you're busy tomorrow morning" =) Luckily, he knew I needed this and didn't argue with me (even though he was hesitant about the weather and me being 36 weeks). But he knows I've been running extremely smart this whole pregnancy.. and once I have my mind made... you can't change it.
I settled with the Marcia Lemkin 5K race up in Lowell, MA. Quick 30 minute drive.
It was a very small race. About 182 finishers. And because it wasn't chip timed you know I was right up in the front with all the 'fast' runners! I am sure they looked at me with so much confusion... but people... IF THE RACE IS NOT CHIP TIMED YOU HAVE TO BE UP AT THE FRONT! Because if not, and if you start near the back, they're going to count the seconds before you even cross the starting line. They have no way to track your accurate time if you don't get to the front.
My mile warmup actually felt rather awesome. I was mentally ready to 'race'. My body may not have been but running is mostly mental, right? I did notice during the warmup that my calves and shins were not cooperating. I've been milking the treadmill all summer because of the heat so the hard surface is something I'm not used to. A few minutes before the race I went ahead and threw on my compression socks. It was hot, but I rather not run in pain.
Then we were off.
I was surprised to see a an 8:20 pace average the first half mile. It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard. My breathing was fine but my shins were screaming (damn you compression socks)! I started to slow down. I wanted to see if I could run this whole race without stopping... but that was a major reach.
The course was very flat (woohoo). The sun was on my back so I wasn't too hot. I wish I was able to wear shorts but lets be honest, the chub rub wouldn't have been appealing for anyone! I kept pushing through while trying to avoid the shin issues but around mile 1.6.. I walked... My legs were NUMB! Yesh! I ran/walked for a bit but gave myself a quick pep talk to try and run the rest of the race after the 2nd mile. And the moment I hit the 2nd mile is when I saw mile 26 on the Baystate Marathon course (which was my very first marathon back in 2010!!). I knew what was up ahead. Pure motivation took over my body. Remembering how much pain I was in then (damn you wall!) and how I fought through. I couldn't stop.
"This shin pain is nothing. Deal with it"
I was running into the sun by now and the heat was annoying... but my shin issues started to fade and I was able to get into a little zone. I could see the finish line after a tiny hill climb so I started to 'push' it a little more. I mean, when I say push I mean waddle really fast!
I passed two people and jumped on a path to the home stretch... it was hard... it was hot. But when I saw the time I knew I had to give it all I got...
And I broke 29:00 minutes!! Just barely!!!
![]() |
| ROOKIE MISTAKE!! |
I felt so amazing after the race! I swear it was the medicine I needed to get out of my funk. I loved it! Race #9 for me and the little man this year... do I dare to round up and run one more!? We shall see =)
28:59
9:21 pace
Overall: 68/182
Age group: 9/23














No comments:
Post a Comment