I just did a write-up on my Daily Mile account that I had to share. In honor of the Boston Marathon memorial:
When I heard that the memorial for the Boston Marathon was being taken down today, I knew I had to run by it one more time. Thanks to two of my Daily Mile friends, Gina and Katie, for suggesting this idea and asking me to join their run. I mapped out a route that allowed us to run all the way down Newbury street then take a left on Hereford (who ever heard of this?!) and a left onto Boylston street. Gina, who ran Boston but sadly didn’t get to finish, hasn’t seen the memorial or the area since the week of April 15th. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy for us and especially her. We were talking up a storm, a bit of positive distraction, and then started passing the location where the second Boston took place. As we closed in towards the finish line I asked Gina “is this your first time crossing the finish line this year?”. She said yes. I wanted her to remember it (even though we were talking about other things).
When I heard that the memorial for the Boston Marathon was being taken down today, I knew I had to run by it one more time. Thanks to two of my Daily Mile friends, Gina and Katie, for suggesting this idea and asking me to join their run. I mapped out a route that allowed us to run all the way down Newbury street then take a left on Hereford (who ever heard of this?!) and a left onto Boylston street. Gina, who ran Boston but sadly didn’t get to finish, hasn’t seen the memorial or the area since the week of April 15th. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy for us and especially her. We were talking up a storm, a bit of positive distraction, and then started passing the location where the second Boston took place. As we closed in towards the finish line I asked Gina “is this your first time crossing the finish line this year?”. She said yes. I wanted her to remember it (even though we were talking about other things).
![]() |
| I took this picture last month when I first went to the memorial. |
When we got to
the memorial, I was shocked that they were already taking it down. Even though
I knew it was going to happen it was hard to see people removing everything
that was left in honor of those affected that day (I guess we all were). I was
more speechless and numb then emotional. I had the opportunity to take some
pictures and a video of the area. Even though they will move everything to
another location for safe keepings I had to take in that moment. It was so nice
having both girls there. Made it easier.
Then, I was
interviewed by 3 reporters. Which at first was uncomfortable. I haven’t talked
about my feelings towards the marathon for a while so I didn’t know if I wanted
to with microphones in my face. But they were nice and were patient. One moment
I got choked up. I was a mumbling idiot that’s for sure. Luckily I didn't make
the news!
Gina taking it all in and leaving a bit of her behind.
Two things were
important to me this morning 1). Seeing the memorial one more time with two
supportive girls and 2). That Gina got to see it. Even though it brought back
overwhelming emotions, I knew she had to see what people left, not only for the
victims, but for her. For us.
![]() |
| Me, Gina and Katie |





2 comments:
Thank you for sharing this story!
Just read this again (not sure why I do this to myself) and really wanted to say thanks again for that day. I am lucky to have you as a friend!
Post a Comment