Monday, June 24, 2013

Long run recap and lil too much fun

I'm still very surprised that I was able to have such a fun weekend with complete exhaustion overpowering my body. Every single minute of this weekend was a struggle. I had my ups and downs (and complete crashes) but I must say it was enjoyable =)

I started off the weekend with a very early morning planned 16 mile run. Even though I got a great nights sleep, thinking it would help the tiredness, but when my alarm went off at 5:00 am (yuck!) I laid there in complete numbness knowing I had to get up and get these miles over with. Especially before the heat decided to make its presence. Luckily, Jim rides with his cycling group Saturday mornings so it motivated me to get up.

Downed my coffee while packing all my running essentials I. wanted to play it safe and pack extra supplies to ensure I fueled properly during the run. Looked kinda goofy but in this case I wasn’t too worried about my appearance.

a bit dramatic don't you think?
I started to think about my route and for whatever reason thought that looping around castle island would be a great idea. And that is what I did. I managed to sneak in some amazing sunrise pictures (or a good excuse to rest already!) but then thought “how many pictures do you need of your running route”? Good question. So I kept running. It was two miles to Castle Island in Southie and then a two mile loop around the bay. I ran one way twice and then turned around and ran the other way twice. I am sure that the fishermen thought I was nuts. But then again, anyone running 16 miles is kinda nuts.


Castle Island Loop x 4!
My energy was down so I turned on some country music and zoned out. I didn’t have it in me to push the pace or think about my upcoming race. It was actually nice. But then by mile 12 I needed a little pick me up to get me through the final 4. That is when the heated started to rise. I swallowed a salt pill, fueled a bit more and hoped that the miles would pass rather quickly.

And they didn’t.

Knowing that you are almost done seems to really slow down time. I tried to not look at my watch and just run but I was antsy. I pushed the final two  miles just so that I could be done! And I wanted to test out the legs. Crazy how amazing they felt! But that heat. Oh boy that heat.

2hr 19minutes and 17seconds I WAS DONE!! 8:39 average pace. I’ll take it!


too early, too hot, too bad
As soon as I walked in the door I started to eat every single THING in sight! I was starved! I've gotten to that point where I am now always hungry. Been dreading this moment. Always happens whenever I increase my weekly mileage. Just need to make sure I fuel properly. Made a hearty post run breakfast with egg whites, veggies, ground turkey, side of paleo pancakes and some turkey sausage. Gone in 2.5 minutes! I was of course still hungry afterwards but luckily the Phantom Gourmet BBQ Beach Party was in town this weekend which meant eating the best BBQ food from all around the world. Mind you, I have a gluten allergy so I am limited but I knew I would find something to fill me up. My stomach was ready for this feast.

It was a lot of fun! So many people enjoying BBQ food, hot dog eating competition (a 21 yr old ate 46 hot dogs and buns within 10 minutes!), beer/wine tent, sand, amazing company, sunshine and tossing beach balls. Jim never experienced this before and he definitely enjoyed his share of food!


Then this guys showed up! "Excuse me. I am a marathoner and I hate your shirt. Mind if I take a picture with you?" He was a good sport!

Rude!
By 5:00 I was SPENT! I literally couldn't keep my eyes open and between the sun and wine I knew I had to head home and sleep! Actually fell asleep in the taxi and went right to the couch. From 6:00 to 10:30 I was out cold. I even managed to move into bed until the next morning. I guess my body was telling me something.

I woke up Sunday excited to hang out with my friend Emily! I bought this groupon deal where we go to a bar and paint... while drinking and eating! She is a fantastic artist and new she would love this! We painted fireflies... Progression picture below! I'm not artist by any means but I was great!


(Photo credit)
Overall, pretty solid weekend =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great weekend! I did a paint/drink Groupon a few months ago and loved it!!!

~ Sarah ~ said...

Thanks Katie! Paint Nite was a lot of fun! Will have to do it again soon =)