Sunday, June 2, 2013

Marathon Training Plan: Weeks One through Four

As I mentioned in my previous post, I started early with my Coach so that I could build a good base before I officially start marathon training in July. I just completed my first month and I cannot believe how amazing I feel. Other than a nagging knot in my right ITB (working very hard to get rid of it), I am hitting my numbers and maintaining consistent workouts (one of my training goals). One slight adjustment is that I need to slow down a little during my easy runs... "It's too early to worry about speed."

Other than building my base, I need to make sure that my pre and post run routines are met. I never use to do any sort of warmup or dynamic work before I ventured out on a run. Hence why my injuries started to develop. Coach J opened my eyes on the importance of the pre/post routines so that I can run without any pain. I guess that makes sense since he is an injury prevention coach =)

Key factors are:

  1. Loosening up the hips
  2. Strengthening the core and ITB
  3. Activating the glutes
If I stick with his plan and these pre/post run workouts, I know I will be a much better runner. 

Side note: I hired Coach J during my Boston Marathon 2012 training season and because of the 90 degree weather that day, I couldn't put my legs to the test. 

1 month down, 5 more to go!

Week of May 6th: 
  • Monday: Rest (ran a half marathon the day before)
  • Tuesday: 4 miles + strides
  • Wednesday: 5 miles
  • Thursday: 4 miles + strides and strength workout
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 11 miles
  • Sunday: 4 miles and strength work
Week of May 13:
  • Monday: Rest
  • Tuesday: 4 miles + strides
  • Wednesday: 6 miles track workout
  • Thursday: 4 miles and strength workout
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 12 miles
  • Sunday: 4 miles and strength work 
Week of May 20:
  • Monday: Rest
  • Tuesday: 5 miles + strides
  • Wednesday: 7 miles track workout
  • Thursday: 4 miles and strength workout
  • Friday: 4 miles + hill sprints
  • Saturday: 14 miles
  • Sunday: Rest
Week of May 27:
  • Monday: 5 miles
  • Tuesday: 5 miles + strides and strength work
  • Wednesday: 8 miles track workout
  • Thursday: Rest
  • Friday: 4 miles + hill sprints
  • Saturday: 14 miles
  • Sunday: strength work

No comments: