Monday, June 3, 2013

Where did Spring go?

I’m serious? Where did Spring go? The weather this past weekend was beyond uncomfortable. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact that it was sunny and hot. Perfect beach weather and I took advantage of it. However, as a runner, it was just too hot. Reminded me of Boston 2012 all over again. Luckily I didn’t have to run 26.2 miles over the weekend. I may have whispered to Jim at one point “I think I am ready for Fall” (my favorite season).

Planned called for 14 miles on Saturday and with the weather scorching up to 71 degrees by 9:00 am, 85 by 11:00 am and 91 by 1:00 pm, I knew I had to get out the door very early to avoid the discomfort. Alarm rang at 5:00 am and I started my miles by 5:45 without hesitation. Within a half mile, I was dripping in sweat. Sexy. Truth is the run wasn’t that bad. You just mentally need to prepare yourself, fuel properly and just get through it. I managed to run through a lot of shade for the most part (did not plan that!) and all around Boston… but by the time I hit mile 11, there was no shade and the sun was beaming through the blue sky. Then my legs and body slowed down. Crap I ran out my fuel. I had to keep focused and started to break down the final miles to make it easier to manage…

… “You only have 3 more miles. It’s only 2 x 1.5 miles and you will be done. 5K… you only have less than a 5K to go. You are almost done then you can go to the beach.”…. It kinda worked.

Walked through the front door feeling accomplished. I love that feeling after a long run. And finishing it before 8:00 on a Saturday is just awesome.

Overall, I had a fabulous weekend. Got a nice little tan, solid miles, spent time with one of my favorites, drank and ate too much (again… it will catch up to me if I don’t knock it off), went to the beach, ate ice cream and napped. So I guess I shouldn’t complain about the heat. I hate complaining over silly stuff. It gets annoying. I just annoyed myself.

Friday morning miles: Sweaty mess all before 6:15 AM
After work cocktails in Boston & apparently my shoes were too tight!
Saturday morning miles: 5:45 AM.... let's do this!
Some quality time with Laurie! Sun, Stoli Doli's and Sushi!
Teaching Jim how to use chop sticks
New Sunday habit.... ice cream and naps

No comments: