Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pre-Marathon Training Goals

After running both the Boston and Providence marathon last Spring, I decided to finally take a break. I had this genius idea that running one marathon in the Spring and one in the Fall would keep my in shape, on point with running and overall maintain my love for marathoning. But, after doing a little math in my head, it meant that out of 56 weeks in the year, 40 of those weeks would be dedicated to training. So basically I would have 16 weeks off from training. 4 months off out of 12 months. You do the math... that is just a long time. Some people absolutely love it. But I got to the point where I was not enjoying it. By the time I got to Providence in 2012, I had my meltdown. I calculated 5 marathons in 19 month. It was time to take a break.

And let me tell you, best decision ever!

For a year I was able to get back into a routine of enjoying life. I mean, I REALLY enjoy running but when you had to dedicate yourself to a plan, it will take you away from other things in life. Balance is key of course however I wanted to not feel guilty missing a run. I wanted to sleep in. I wanted to get drunk Saturday nights and be hungover on Sundays and not have to do a long run. And most importantly, I needed a mental break from the commitment, because I started to not enjoy my runs.

So for a year I ran for fun. I did push my runs at times (track work/tempo runs) and raced shorter but there was no pressure. It was just what I needed.

Now the time has come to get back into it. I've been chasing that Boston Qualifying time for so long. I did it back in 2010 once and I haven't achieved that goal since. It is time to train again, harder, faster, longer, whatever it takes to get me that BQ. I am hoping to do this on Sunday, October 6th at the Smuttynose Marathon. Smuttynose was my very first half in 2009 and been running it every year since. It's time to tackle the marathon. I know it's THE marathon for me to achieve my goal. I can taste it. But I need to train right.

With the help of my Coach, Jason Fitzgerald from www.strengthrunning.com, I want to achieve the following:

  1. Qualify for Boston with a 3:29:59 goal
  2. Become a better mental runner
  3. Learn how to overcome that stupid wall
  4. Be a more efficient runner
  5. Run injury free

Yes I know, that's a lot to ask but I am up to the challenge. Speaking of challenge, I am starting early with him because, well, this happened....


.... so I can officially become this: click here



Let me tell you, Coach is NOT too happy with me at the moment. He knows that Smutty is my A race and the other two are just for fun but it still is a lot on my legs. 3 marathons in 6 weeks... doable yes but we shall see what happens. Sadly, I may skip out on MDI if my legs can't handle the challenge. NYC is a must, waited 4 damn years to run it!

Anyway, I hope to share my stories during my training plan. It will help keep me on track. I may need your encouragement and motivation. 6 months is a long time to spend training. But I'm excited for the challenge.



No comments: