Sunday, January 8, 2012

Starting off the year right

I love the holidays. I enjoy the time I spend with my friends and my family... and especially the time off from work. However, I was pretty excited to get back to work and back to my routine of life. I find that the busier I am the more strict I become with my diet and workouts. So last week, I dedicated the time just to get back to reality.

I started off the New Year the right way. Jim and I signed up and ran the Hangover Classic 10K. The weather was absolutely perfect! January 1, 2012 = 55 degrees and sunny. Loved it! I was a tad hungover from the previous evening but luckily the start time was at 11:30 am, so I was able to somewhat sleep in.

Anyway, I didn't really have a plan for the race. Just run. However, my friend Danielle was there so I decided to run with her. We started off strong and confident. Talking up a storm and just catching up. I realized that Danielle doesn't have a Garmin so I kept her in the loop on what our pace was.

"Dani, you know we are running sub 8:00 right?"

I decided I was going to push Dani a bit. I don't think she gives herself enough credit when it comes to her speed so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to test her. And she ROCKED IT!! We were averaging around a 7:45 pace for the first few miles but by mile 4, we took it down a notch so she could catch her breath. By the time we go to mile 5, we started to push it again.

"Just listen and focus on breathing.. do not talk..."

... and that's what she did. By mile 6 we were averaging a 7:31 pace. I could tell that she was hurting a bit but gave her a few pointers on what to do... she just listened...

.... .2 miles to go.... full out sprint....

Finishing time: 47:49 | 7:42 pace = 6 minute PR for DANI!!! I was so proud of her that I couldn't help but cheer! Her excitement was even better... she was glowing. That's exactly how I wanted to start the New Year. Making a good friend of mine glow.

Happy New Year!
Jim and I after the race!
There is this plunge that you do right after the race.
Jim and Danielle went in without any hesitations.
I wasn't in the mood to get wet. Kinda do regret it!

No comments: