Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Boston Marathon 2012 - Let the training begin

I am truly grateful that I got into Boston again especially after the BAA changed their rules. I was one of the few who were sweating until the end of registration since I qualified for Boston within 5 minutes of the cut off time. I was so close that I just made it with 12 seconds to spare. 12 SECONDS! 

"Every second counts Sarah." - Jim

And he is right. 

April 16th, 2012
But I got in and I am ready to tackle the training again. This time around, I decided to go with a coach. I have worked so hard for my past two marathons that by the time I get to the starting line, my legs were exhausted to the point of failure. Who hits the wall at mile 9... TWICE. Me...

I have been evaluating my past plans and tried figuring out what worked and what didn't. I know what I did wrong. I also know what I did right. But, with Boston 2012, I want to be able to run the race I was meant to run. So, with that said, I hired a coach.

A friend of mine Christine from Daily Mile did amazing at the Philadelphia Marathon. I followed her during her training season and was really impressed by her numbers and her efforts. I felt as though our times were very similar and thought we would run a similar race at Philly. Nope...didn't happen for me. After the marathon, I had to ask her about her ways and what plan she used. Let's just say that she is the reason why I hired Coach Jason Fitzgerald, owner of Strength Running.

Hi Coach!
I just need someone to make sense of all this marathon training, how to run a good race and how to stay injury free.

Jason and I emailed back and forth and talked about my previous plans and where I am now.  He is very honest and direct. That's exactly what I need. Let's just say that my legs were pretty bad, so he is having me take a little extra recovery time before Boston training. I am very antsy but staying patient. This time around, I am going to do it right. 

It's been a month and the miles will start adding up soon. "The mileage will increase significantly over the next month so don't be too concerned if you see some bigger jumps." Bring it...

My legs are feeling so much better. The pain in the knee and quads has finally subsided. I am refreshed and ready to do this. Ready to train for a marathon the right way.

15 weeks until Boston... let the training begin....

No comments: