Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Plan...

How does one determine what plan to use for a marathon? There are just so many plans out there… but how do you know which ones is right for you. Me… I have absolutely no clue. But after two years of marathon training, I think I know what my body can and cannot handle.

I read this book called: Run Less, Run Faster



The key feature is the "3 plus 2" program, which each week consists of:

-3 quality runs, including track repeats, the tempo run, and the long run, which are designed to work together to improve endurance, lactate-threshold running pace, and leg speed

-2 aerobic cross-training workouts, such as swimming, rowing, or pedaling a stationary bike, which are designed to improve endurance while helping to avoid burnout


With detailed training plans for 5K, 10K, half marathon, and marathon, plus tips for goal-setting, rest, recovery, injury rehab and prevention, strength training, and nutrition, this program will change the way runners think about and train for competitive races. (Amazon.com, authors Bill Pierce , Scott Murr and Ray Moss)

I am not a typical runner. I can’t just go out every day and run 10 miles. So I wanted to run harder but not every day. I used this plan for Boston. But like I mentioned before, I overdid the long runs (ran marathon pace). This time I will stick to it. I better. I love the speed work and tempo runs they offer. It is a great book. You can borrow it anytime. =)

With that said… here is the plan:

Monday:  Swim/stretch

Tuesday:  Speed work/tone

Wednesday: Ride/spin/core

Thursday:  Tempo run/tone and spin (I teach every Thursday at BSC South Station. Stop in!!)

Friday:  Run/swim

Saturday:  Rest

Sunday:  Long run


Now, obviously things change. But I am definitely running on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. I am doing a triathlon in a few weeks so I have to incorporate more biking (especially on Saturday). After the tri I will adjust my schedule a bit. Yoga and Core work will definitely be thrown in here and there. Swimming as well… best recovery workout ever!!

Oh and we cannot forget the DIET!! I will now eat not just for taste but items that will help me fuel and recover. I eat to give myself the nutrition I need. I kinda like this part. I have a pretty sensitive stomach so I need to make sure I am on point with this.

It is just crazy how all this running just makes food disappear that much faster. Like this…

~ BEFORE ~


~ 2 minutes LATER… GONE!! ~

!!!I AM STILL HUNGRY!!!

No comments: