Every Wednesday morning throughout the summer, I have made sure that I get myself up out of bed pretty early for my weekly morning rides. I signed up for an Olympic distance triathlon at the end of August and being new to the cycling world, I needed to get my butt in gear and build the leg strength. So yesterday morning, I woke up around 4:30 AM so I can be out the door by 5:00 AM. I have this 23+ mile loop that I usually do. No necessarily an easy loop. Let’s just say I ride what is called Blue Hills. Use your imagination.
After giving Jim a quick kiss good-bye, I was out the door a little after 5:00.
However, as soon as I walked outside… this is what I saw:
I COMPLETELY forgot that the sun starts to rise later by the end of the summer. I actually stood there very annoyed with the darkness. Well, maybe more disappointed that the summer is coming to an end and that the Fall is right around the corner. Ok, I will clarify, I LOVE the Fall but I really want to bike up until my Marathon (November 20th) since cycling has absolutely made me a better runner.
Why didn’t I check and see when the sun was planning on rising? Maybe I am in denial that the weather is starting to change which means that the days are going to get shorter (tear).
“This means that riding at 5:00 AM will result in riding in complete darkness. I am scared of the dark (FACT)!”
Date | Sunrise | Sunset |
6/1/11 | 5:10 AM | 8:14 PM |
6/15/11 | 5:07 AM | 8:23 PM |
7/1/11 | 5:11 AM | 8:25 PM |
7/15/11 | 5:21 AM | 8:19 PM |
8/1/11 | 5:37 AM | 8:04 PM |
8/17/11 | 5:53 AM | 7:43 PM |
9/1/11 | 6:09 AM | 7:19 PM |
9/15/11 | 6:24 AM | 6:54 PM |
10/1/11 | 6:41 AM | 6:26 PM |
10/15/11 | 6:57 AM | 6:03 PM |
11/1/11 | 7:17 AM | 5:38 PM |
*11/15/2011 | 6:35 AM | 4:23 PM |
*time change | ||
Yes I had all the appropriate lights for my bike. But unfortunately not enough for me to see clearly. The eyes finally adjusted and there was a little bit of light in the sky to guide me through until the sun rose. So everything was ok. I may have to invest in some more lights if I want to ride throughout the Fall. It will be worth it.
Overall, the ride was OK! Legs were absolutely toast from my workout the day before. But in all honesty, this will just make my legs stronger on race day. Fight through and maintain.





1 comment:
Yes! I do have a version of that light!! I love it! (Well only have biked with it one time so far haha, but I will use it tomorrow morning too!)
Post a Comment