Monday, May 12, 2014

Boston Marine Corp Honor 5K Race Recap

6 days after I ran the Providence Marathon at 21 weeks... I decided to run a 5K for fun... just because! The start was about 1 mile from my house so I figured why not run it. I was planning on working out anyway and thought it would be a nice race #8 for baby N =) So I signed up...


Luckily I wasn't alone. I had the support from my husband and a fews friends which made the morning a lot of fun. Both Katie and I ran Providence and didn't think it was a problem to try and tackle a 5K... obviously.

We are pretty nuts.



It was pouring earlier in the morning but lucked out when it disappeared before the start of the race. Phew! I convinced the group to sneak up right to the front with the 'elite' so that we could intimate our competition. Now, imagine their expression seeing a 5+ month pregnant women toeing the starting line... so close to the really fast folks! Good... my plan was working.



....And we were off!!

Kate and the men started pulling away really quick and when I saw 7:15 on my watch I slowed down instantly. I had absolutely no reason to be running that fast. I didn't even had a goal to RACE! But... I kept a solid push for the most part... until I hit mile one...

Mile 1: 7:40

After my watched beeped I knew it was going to be a major challenge. My legs started to get VERY heavy and I was losing control of my breathing. I zoned out in my music and just went with it. I kept reminding myself that I am NOT racing and to just run...

... but that didn't really happen. At the hairpin turnaround point I was able to see Kate and the guys in front of me as well as other friends along the race. I did encourage a few of them to catch up. Used my pregnancy motto to motivate them "don't let a pregnant women beat you!" =)

As I tried pushing through my tired legs... I suddenly had to STOP!! I pulled off to the side and tried catching my breath... but after 5 seconds I was off again. The idea of stopping was weird to me.. "It's only a 5K race... you can do it".

Mile 2: 7:46

I tried drinking some water but that didn't help. People started to pass me and I started to really slow down... I may have been grunting actually. I did see Kate's fiancé, Adam, ahead of me and tried catching up to him. I grunted and was once again losing my breath... so I stopped again for a few seconds. Adam was actually right next to me when I stopped and he was so kind to check and see if I was ok... I gave him a thumbs up and we started running side by side...

I was sooooo done!! My entire right leg was going numb, I sounded like I never ran a race before and I felt like crap!! However, when I hit mile 3... I started to sprint.

Mile 3: 7:56

While waving to the cameras of course!

Mile .1: 42 seconds (7:03)
 

As soon as I crossed... I decided it was time to stop racing. I mean, I really didn't have a goal to push the effort but I stupidly did... and need to stop doing so. At about 6 months pregnant it's time to really save as much energy for the baby. I want to still run and maybe do some shorter races... but at an easier pace.
My stats:
AG - 9/?
Overall Female: 43/833
Overall: 204/1503
And after the race, at 10:33 am... we headed over to Sully's near Castle island for hot dogs and french fries! Yes... I had these at 10:30 am... I ran a race damn it! I totally deserve it!


No comments: