Monday, March 3, 2014

The moment I decided not to settle - Part II

....continued....

Back in January, I had a moment of clarity about my career (the moment I decided to not settle - part I here). I don't know exactly what triggered it but I do remember driving back from NH with Jim where we had the time to talk about life. The topic that came up was my career. We've had this conversation before but this time it was different. Jim knew I've been trying to grow out of the admin field for a while. He knew that I've been feeling complacent and unhappy. He's heard me say many many times "I really hate people telling me what to do" (fact!).

"So, why are you still doing what you are doing?"

What a great, and simple, question. Why was I really doing what I was doing? Only one word came to mind...

...Comfort. 

How many of you feel 'comfortable' in your current position? Most I bet... me included. And why would anyone want to quit that comfort zone and jump into the deep end? I know how to 'swim'... not great but I manage and can handle the 'water'. But the idea of the depth of the unknown is so scary that I didn't even want to take a chance to jump in. Can't see or touch the bottom! The heart-racing feeling that overpowers you because you have no control of that moment. The feeling where that comfort is gone while you are kicking and swimming rapidly to find or feel the stability...

... who would ever want that feeling?

Jim in his own way said: "Sarah, you know how to 'swim'. You know what it takes to be a good 'swimmer'. Just know that no matter how deep you go or how far out you swim, I will be there to support you. I will be there to swim by you and be your life preserver. You will be fine. Safe. And comfortable"

When Jim said those words to me... was the moment I knew I didn't want to stand safe in the shallow end. I want the passion I have in my life be the same in my career. The love I have for life, running, food, friends and family... I want that same feeling in my day to day job. 

I didn't want to settle anymore. So, I decided to jump into the deep end. 
.... to be continued....

No comments: