Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New Bedford Half Marathon Race Recap!


Not much to say about this race other than it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. I signed up to race this hard back in January, about a week before I found out I was pregnant. Coach and I thought to tackle the training plan as if I would be able to race but down deep I was hesitant. Such a new territory for me.

Running while pregnant.

I trained hard for 2 months but saw my progress deteriorate a few weeks before the race. The long tempo runs became very difficult and my heart rate started getting out of whack. Key workouts were missed which convinced me that any sort of PR was out the door. 

But I didn't share this attitude with Coach.

Race morning, I wasn't stressed one bit. I figured I would at least try and race but if not then so be it. Worse case scenario... back off and run easy. I can do that. 


Jim and I got there early so that we could not feel rushed and get in our warm-up miles. I'll confess to you all that I did not run my 2-3 miles, I barely did my dynamic routine or any pre-race rituals. It's not like me. I already had in my mind that it wasn't going to happen :-(


As I lined up at the start I instantly knew I was overdressed. The wind was brutal but as soon as the sun popped out from behind the clouds it got hot! It was too late for me to change. I usually am about to adjust my body temperature during a race so I thought I would be fine. NOPE! It bit me in the butt after 6 miles.

The first 2-3 miles my legs felt FRESH and my 7:45 pace felt effortless. I had a little bit of confidence that I may be able to do well but still not a PR. But, by mile 3, when I hit the first small hill, my legs were TOAST! I was shocked how instantly my they did not respond. I usually can crush the hills but I was not able to recover after the first one. It really opened my eyes a bit how a pregnant body can't do what it use to be able to do. Or the fact that I haven't really practiced hill work =(

From that point on, hill after hill, my legs started to slow and fade. 8:20 pace became even more difficult which was frustrating. Even the 2-3 mile straightaway was a challenge. Foot Loose did play in my ears at one point which gave me a little boost but once again... that faded.

By mile 6... I was beyond hot that I had to take off my jacket and... gulp... TIE IT AROUND MY WAIST!

By mile 7... My bladder started acting up and I knew I couldn't hold it in the entire race.

By mile 8.5... I stopped at a potter potty which changed the game of the race.

After the break I just couldn't get in any sort of grove. And then... something new.. My stomach started cramping... which never happened (Again, new territory).

"It's not about you anymore... It's about the baby."

So I walked... I walked a lot. For 2.5 miles I slowed down my pace immensely and walked through each water stop. I was hot, crampy and tired. I stopped caring about my time. I just wanted to be done.

By mile 11... I knew that the infamous 3/4 mile hill climb was around the corner so I started to move the legs and didn't want to stop. I ran and ran and ran and the hill never came. Mile 12 beeped on my watch and still nothing. Then, I turned a corner and there it was... not too steep but long and gradual. I had nothing to lose! 

I was shocked that my legs cooperated. They ran hard and my speed started to pickup fast.... and effortlessly (This baby thing is totally messing with me!). I found a girl and ran with her, coached her breathing a bit and helped her climb the hill. We got to the top and I tried pushing her a bit but it didn't help... and since I was feeling very strong I started pulling away and running sub 8:00/miles. 

With one final turn I saw the finish line. I started to sprint... hard!! I did end up saying to a group of girls in a joking/smiling manner..

"Don't let a pregnant woman BEAT YOU!" 

And let me tell you... they were all about trying to beat me lol! I loved it... but it motivated me to run HARDER... which I did... and with my dorky jacket wrapped around my waist... I crossed the finish line with such a big smile that I didn't even notice my time. 

After a quick high five with the girls.. I ventured off to find Jim... and felt like JUNK! Ran too hard... made me realized that my race days may be over until next year.

But.. I do think it's pretty bad a$$ that Baby N got to run his/her first half! Will be a great story to share one day! 

Finish time: 1:50:51 (8:27 pace)


I can't complain really. Being able to keep a sub 8:30 average pace at 14 weeks is pretty great! Just time to really start listening to my body and take speed off the table. I cannot wait for 2015!!


Jim did such an amazing job! Missed a PR by 1:00 minute but he raced hard!! Nice little preview of what he will do at Boston =) So proud of him <3


Pregnant or not... I totally run this body!


Always try and have fun at a race not matter what! (Photo credit: Capstone Photography)

No comments: