Saturday, January 11, 2014

Scarborough Frozen 5K Race Recap

Last week, a handful of us went to Portland, ME to celebrate our friend Sarah’s 30th birthday! Danielle took the lead on planning it and thought it would be a great idea to sign up for a 5K the next day since we are all runners. Jim and I obviously signed up right away but come to find out Sarah was not able to go since she had other obligations... and Danielle wasn’t planning on signing up because of it. So imagine her surprise when I told her we are all registered. I guess there was no turning back. (Danielle, her husband and a friend ended up signing up race morning).

 
We showed up race morning, checked in, pinned our bibs, did our usual prerace dynamic routine and then Jim, Danielle and I ventured out to do our one mile warm-up. The roads were not forgiving. There were patches of ice and snow which was difficult to maneuver around. I had no interest in racing and the conditions validated that decision. Danielle however did want to race so Jim was there to pace her. We tried to encourage a PR and sub 22:00 goal but she was ok not doing that. Down deep I knew she wanted to =)

The race started at a bottom of a hill that we would have to run up 2x. Other than that it was extremely flat but again, the sporadic ice and snow patches didn’t help our speed. As soon as we started Jim took off (TOO FAST!) and Danielle and I stayed together while we huffed and puffed up the hill. Our pace was a bit off but as soon as we climb the hill and started our decent, we were able to adjust accordingly. However, and for whatever reason, my legs started to pick up speed and I decided to take off and race. I tend to do this a lot. Go into a race with the attitude that I wasn’t going to race but when I feel right I change my mindset and push the miles. So when I was heading down the hill, I took advantage of it and picked up my speed… it was time to race.

Mile 1 (7:14) was a challenge. There was ice, snow and SLUSH everywhere and I couldn’t really run through it. I didn’t want to fall or hurt myself over a 5K… so I just focused on staying on my feet. When I hit mile 2 (7:00) I turned onto a road with no snow or ice. Before I took off I looked back and saw Jim and Danielle close by. “Good… that is what I want to see”. I surprisingly felt pretty awesome! I did have to adjust my breathing a few times but my legs felt strong …. I was able to zone out, listen to my music and pass people. When I hit mile 3 (7:01) I knew I was going to be climbing that hill. Now, mind you, it wasn’t a steep hill… more a long steady gradual incline. So I wanted to make sure I had enough speed in my legs by the time I got to it. I looked down and saw sub 7:00, which I was absolutely fine with (what!?!). My goal was just to hold on as long as possible while I climbed. The breathing got harder, obviously, and I saw my pace go down slightly. I ignored the watch and focused on not dying…

With 100 yards left I saw the finishing clock in the distance and with Foot Loose in my ear I started to sprint. I sprinted so hard and with so much pain… because when I crossed that finish line…. I knew I PR’d!! 21:47!! (previous PR last January was 21:56)

Seriously!?!?! What the heck did I just do!?!?

I couldn’t stop smiling while trying to catch my breath and when I turned around I saw JIM AND DANIELLE CROSSING THE FINISH!!!!!!!!!!!! And guess what… not only did she !PR! she also broke 22:00!!! I knew she would and am so happy she came in right behind me!!! It was so amazing to share the experience with her!!

Come to fine out… I came in 2nd in my age group and she came in 3rd!!!! What!?!? That was the icing on the cake for us! However, since the overall female winner ended up being 1st in our age group they actually promoted ME to 1st and Danielle to 2nd!! People… I GOT A TROPHY BY DEFAULT!!!!!!!!!!!! I will totally accept the honor lol!!

First race of the year in the books… and I couldn’t be happier to share it with Danielle and my husband.

first mile while we climb the hill...

As you can see... Jim went out too fast (elbow to the right!)

 
Approaching the finish with a lot of pain!!! May not look like it
but I swear I was running fast!
 
 
Danielle and Jim sprinting towards the finish!
 
 
Winner baby!! PR smiles and awards!
 


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

This is awesome!!!! CONGRATS! Oh gosh at one point I so wanted to go sub 22. I am sure it will happen one day. But i am super excited for you! That was not an easy run and you killed it!