During the final weeks, Coach had me race a half marathon to test everything out. Mind you, I did have a bad HM experience back in July so this test was needed, even though it was scheduled 3 WEEKS BEFORE Smuttynose. I will admit I doubted his crazy idea but he promised me I will be fine and that I will bounce right back and run a PR and BQ at Smutty. I had to trust him. However, by the end of the race, I will admit that I briefly lost a bit of confidence and trust in him and in myself.
And here is why:
Since Smuttynose Marathon is flat, it didn’t make sense to
race a hilly course. Coach and I settled with the Allstate Boston 13.1 Half
Marathon. VERY flat (just like smutty) but it was a bit too close to race day. We
took a chance. The week before the race I totaled 54 miles. The MOST I’ve ever
ran. So taper was out the door. And race week, even though a ‘down’ week, I had
33 miles already on my stems before I toed the starting line. And let me tell
you… my legs were EXHAUSTED!! Coach wanted me to run 1:38:00 PR! Two minutes
faster than my previous PR. I was very intimidated. But I had to try.
| Allstate Half Marathon course! |
As I expected my legs did not want to run a 1:38 PR at all.
Every single step hurt. My quads were screaming and I just had the hardest time
finding my rhythm and pace. I did stop once to rub the quads out and walked
through two water stops. Something I hate and been working so hard to stop
doing. It was not my day at all. I kept talking and reminding myself to let it
hurt and fight through … it helped a bit but I started to give up. Most of the
race I doubted my ability and my training. But something happened around mile 9.
I decided to change my attitude.
“Get to mile 10 and then go all out. You just have to!"
Crazy as it sounds and with how I was feeling… I decided to
listen to myself and crush the final miles. And guess what…. I ran hard,
nonstop and negative split those bad boys with so much confidence in me. I felt
like I was flying and everything clicked. That is when I decided to race. I ran so hard that during the final meters I
wanted to puke! And when I crossed the finish like I felt as though I was going
to pass out… until I saw my finishing time.
1:40:01… “holy $h!t!! I just PR’d!!!” Not by minutes
unfortunately but by 16 seconds!! That is with stopping a few times and not
pushing every mile. Even though I didn’t achieve my 1:38 goal.. I was beyond
happy with my time. Especially running on exhausted legs.
When I saw my husband afterwards to share my excitement… he
asked about my time (obviously after we celebrated a bit). As soon as I read my
watch back to him something clicked. I knew what he was thinking when I looked
up. And as a typical runner who over analyzes every second I screeched with
anger “F@#$&@#(*!!!!!! I missed 1:39:XX by 2 SECONDS!!!!!” Lol
#runnerproblems He smirked back thinking the same thing.
I will admit that knowing I didn’t break 1:40 really brought
me down. Between that (even though I PR’d) and running on pained legs I was
losing my confidence… again . Lame I know. But that’s how I felt. On my way
home (with my two running friends), they made me realize something that changed
my attitude completely.
“Sarah, just think, you just tested out the last half of a
marathon. Your race today will exemplify what you may experience during the
second part of your marathon. For you to run through what you did and still PR’d
and finished strong. You are ready to crush your marathon.”
That is exactly what I needed to hear and it is so true! The
last 13.1 miles during a marathon is different than the first 13.1. This was a
test of fighting through pain and the mental battle. I struggled, yes, but I still
succeeded with a decent time. I gained so much more running that race then
achieving that 1:38 PR. My goal wasn’t to PR at a half.. it was just a
guideline. I knew right then and there that I ran the race I was supposed to.
And because of this… I was able to gain back my confidence in
my Coach. And more important, the confidence in myself. All my doubts I’ve ever had over the years and
during this training… went out the door.
I am ready to crush Smuttynose.
PS: the following week after the race I ran 52 miles… pain
free… and with no exhaustion. My Coach is AWESOME!
| Why do I do this!?! PUKE!!! Photo credited to MarathonFoto |
| Photo credited to MarathonFoto |
![]() |
| What does one do after a PR? STUFF THEIR FACE WITH EVERYTHING IN SIGHT! |
![]() |
| Final long run done! Very happy!! Up next... SMUTTYNOSE MARATHON 2013!! Feet Fail Me Not |
Week of September 9
Monday: RestTuesday: 5 miles + strides
Wednesday: 10 mile tempo
Thursday: 7 miles and strength work
Friday: 5 miles + hill sprints
Saturday: 4 miles
Sunday: Allstate Half Marathon + 4 miles
Week of September 16
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 5 miles + strides
Wednesday: 11 mile tempo/fartlek
Thursday: 7 miles and strength work
Friday: 4miles
Saturday: 4 miles + hill sprints
Sunday: 21 miles
Week of September 23
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 miles + strides
Wednesday: 9 mile tempo/fartlek
Thursday: 4 miles and strength work
Friday: 4 miles + hill sprints
Saturday: 9 Miles (last 5 at marathon pace)
Sunday: 4 miles
Week of September 30
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 miles + strides
Wednesday: 6 mile fartlek
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: 2 miles
Sunday: SMUTTYNOSE!! (next post!)




No comments:
Post a Comment