Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Milton 10k Road Race

I have to say that the best race distance has to be a 10K. After my first one last year, I fell in love with it instantly. Being a distance runner, a 10K does seem like nothing . Well I don’t want to say it’s nothing because it’s a good distance. But if you log 13+ miles during the weekend it is nice to be able to race something shorter. Makes you appreciate the shorter runs even more. Anyway, I love this distance because… 6.2 quick miles where you don’t really  need to fuel during the race, can break down the miles easily (oh wait 2 down… only 4.2 more to go!? Woohoo!),  push harder since the pain is temporary and it’s over before you know it. I’ve only run 2 different courses (2x each) but hope to find more after marathon season is over with. Again, definitely the perfect distance.

I signed up for the Milton 10K road race a couple months ago hoping to PR and crush my previous time before I focus on marathon training. But after talking to my Coach, I had to adjust my PR plans because of the weather conditions. That is a huge factor on race day and since this race was after work and in June, the chances that the weather would be on my was slim to none. However, you’d think that the heat would be the issue, right? False!! Yesterday, in 60 degree weather, a monsoon decided to make its presence on race day. Not the weather conditions I expected. Actually, maybe it was better than running in 80 degrees?

I wrote up my details race recap on my daily mile page if you want to read about it. Make a note not to taunt me at the beginning of a race. Because, I will beat you at the end (lol why am I trying to sound so tough!?)

Overall, I am very happy about how it turned out. Didn’t PR (I missed it by 40 seconds) but I did PR on the course (over 2 minutes). Not too bad on a very hill route and running through small rivers. I was able to run negative splits until the last mile. So bummed but I raced hard and felt great. Could be better. Could be faster. Baby steps.

Oh hello rain. thank you for joining us.
Lets do this!

Outfit of choice
Sprinting towards the finish line in a bit of pain!
Completely soaked, ipod dead, hair in knots
10th female over? Sure, I'll take it
RIP my handy ipod. You will be missed =(

No comments: