Tuesday, September 27, 2011

8 weeks – Long Run Recap: for Greg...

Not the best weekend for me. I have been really slacking on my routine and it has been affected my running lately. Sunday, I skipped out on my morning run with LSRG and slept in. I was on the couch and ended up watching two movies while contemplating on whether or not I should run. 18 miles. Alone. Who wants to do that. I regret not getting it over with. Tried talking to myself by saying “just get it done on your own”. Didn’t help.

5:00 pm came around and I still have not moved from my couch.  Sad. Very sad.

Then I got a call from Jim.. “I am on my way to the hospital. Greg got hit by a car while riding his bike.” My heart went up into my throat.

Greg is a friend of ours who is a true inspiration. He is a marathoner, an ironman, an ultra marathoner… he is a machine. He is elite. Sadly, he will not be competing in the Beach to Battleship Ironman he has been training  for all year. Unfortunately, the damage was done.

I got off the phone in tears. I changed my clothes, put on my sneakers, grabbed the iPod and was out the door by 5:20. I got mad at myself. I was frustrated and angry that my lazy butt did not go out sooner. That something like this had to push me out the door.

I only got in 12.5 miles out of my 18. By 8:00, it was just too dark to run and I didn’t want to finish the miles on the treadmill. Besides, the hamstring has been acting up so I decided to call it a night and into an ice bath.

During my run I kept thinking over and over again…

I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them. I know they would do the same for me.( unknown)

Sunday, I ran for Greg. And I will run until I no longer can.


PLAN: 18 miles at 8:30 pace

ACTUAL: 12.5 miles at 8:24 pace

1 comment:

Little Miss Runshine said...

That is so sad that happened to Greg! I hope he won't have too much recovery to do!

Sometimes we all take our health for granted and it does take things like this to make us remember how lucky we are!