Most marathon runners, when training, end up running their long runs either on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Me, I run them on Sunday’s with my running group (L Street Running Group). It is really great having the company, provided water stops/snacks and overall getting the run over with before the day really starts. Truthfully, I prefer running Saturday mornings. I tend to stay in Friday nights so Saturday mornings would be ideal so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend and recover on Sunday. However, I am not a fan of running alone during the longer miles so, for now, Sunday mornings will be dedicated to those long runs.
Yesterday was my first long run of my marathon plan. I have been extremely excited to get the ball rolling and just really start training. But, I will confess this… I did not run my long run with the group yesterday. Why, I was pretty hung over from the night before. I should have known better. I should have been more strict and not stay out too late. This is WHY I wish I ran Saturday mornings. But again, I should have been home in bed by 10:30 and rested for the run.
I woke up at 6:30 AM on Sunday and attempted to get out of bed and out the door by 7:00. I made it all the way to the couch and crashed until 9:45 (eww I hate sleeping in this late)! I woke up to Jim sitting in the recliner and reading a book. He wasn’t hung over. He knows better… but me… I looked beat up and just knew that the long run was not going to happen that day. I even tried to talk myself into running that night. Nope! Not a chance.
![]() |
Culprit to my hangover! |
So, instead, I decided to punish myself. How you ask? I got my BUTT out of bed this morning at 4:15 AM, ate breakfast (TABF), changed into my running gear, grabbed my flashlight, head lamp, cell phone and GU and was out the door by 4:45 AM. Yeup, the idea SUCKED more than anything but this is what I get for slacking.
PLAN: 13 miles at 8:30 pace
ACTUAL: 13 miles at 8:32 pace (1:51:15)
I will post the splits later but I started off pacing around a 8:50-9:05 until about mile 4 and was finally on pace. It was pretty hazy out and not many people on the road (who wants to be out running at 5:00 AM?). By the time I hit the beach area, the clouds lifted and my stride started settling in. Legs felt very heavy at first… probably being a bit too dehydrated. But overall a great run. I was happy with it and really glad I made it out this morning.
I love running by Wollaston beach. Not only do I get to see the sun rise and the calm of the water (so peaceful)… there is about 3 water bubblers on the route that allows me to stop and hydrate. No hand held water bottles this time. Which I prefer not running with.
![]() |
Boston skyline in the background |
![]() |
Heading back home. |
So... today is a new day and I feel that I am back on track.



No comments:
Post a Comment