Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Finally, my Philadelphia Marathon recap

How does one sit down and write how disappointed they are with their recent marathon outcome? Let me tell you, it is not that easy. I’ve taken over a month to really think about what happened that day and why I did not make my goal. I went through many emotions yet stayed positive on the outside. Truth is, I didn’t want to tell everyone how I felt about this race. I didn’t want to share my true feelings because even though some may relate, most won’t understand.

My goal, 3:30:00. My actual time, 3:55:29.

Race day:

My legs were toast by the time I got to the marathon. Knee and quad issues were apparent two weeks prior to my race and I also had stomach problems right before the marathon that I knew would come up during the run. I tried very hard to stay positive and by the time I got to the starting line, emotions surfaced knowing that it wasn't going to happen that day.

(Ready, set, GO!)... 

I felt pretty good the 1st 9 miles. Legs were numbingly ok, due to the 4 Aleve pills that I took prior to the race, and kept a decent pace for some time. However, the damn watch ended up freaking out around mile 5 basically telling me I was running a 6:45 (ya right) and then jumping to an 8:45 pace (eep!) So I kept adjusting which was frustrating even though I knew the watch was off. After settling in and keeping an 8:00 pace for a while, I had a little boost of confidence that maybe I could make it today. Maybe I can stay at this pace until the very end. But that confidence faded after the 9 mile hill. My legs were screaming at me and unfortunately they never recovered.

I was heart broken.

I saw Jim around mile 12 on top of a bridge jumping up and down to get my attention. He sure did. I looked up at him and with tears in my eyes while motioning my hand back and forth across my neck indicating "today is not going to happen"... and that is when reality started to settle in. Today, I will not run a qualifying time. Today is not my day.

And after I said that out loud... I changed my attitude and mind set. I decided to HAVE fun and not put so much pressure on myself. I took the competition out of the race and just ran, and smiled, and sang.



Since my legs wouldn't go any faster; I went to go to the bathroom a few times, walk through every water stop, encourage people when they were struggling and again... sing... out loud.

"Foot loose, kick up your Sunday shoes.... " 

This made people smile. Which made me smile. 

I took this time to watch other runners run. You tend to get lost in the moment when you are racing and don't really realize your surroundings. That day, I decided to do that. And it was one of the best experiences of my life. You see the pain. You see the sweat. You see the tears. You see the fun. You just see the passion. And I was proud to be a part of it.



My legs started to join in on the fun around mile 21. They decided to start running a bit faster than previous miles. Around mile 22, I decide to push it until the end and try to run nonstop. And that's what I did. That feeling was amazing! That was the feeling I have been waiting for. Fighting through exhaustion yet feeling strong and confident and pushing through it all. I felt as though I was floating and gliding through the air, even at an 8:54 pace.  I'll take it.

With a little over than a quarter mile to go, and with the crowd cheering me on, I said f**k it and started to sprint. I mean, sprint as in going from an 8:54 pace to a 7:02 pace... until the end... "Feet fail me not, this is the only opportunity that I got....."


03:55:29

DistanceMAR
Clock Time03:55:36
Chip Time03:55:29
Overall Place3544 / 10314
Gender Place964 / 4272
Division Place198 / 768
Age Grade57.5%
Pace8:59.0
10K0:50:36
Half1:47:24
30K2:43:33
I am not too disappointed about my time. I am more disappointed that I worked so hard for 16 weeks to try and achieve a goal. I hit every single number in the plan and it did not show during my race. That's the only reason why I am not happy, I am doing something wrong and need to re-evaluate my plan. 


I know I have it in me. I know I can achieve that goal. And I know I will.

3 comments:

Little Miss Runshine said...

I am so proud of you! To keep going during that race even though you knew you couldn't meet your goal, to spill your feelings of disappointment, your enthusiasm, and your will power to keep going! And you are running another marathon!

Keep up the hard work. We all have our bad races, bad days, and it's those who keep going that are the strongest. So proud! :)

~ Sarah ~ said...

Thanks so much Jess. I appreciate it. Really looking forward to the next one (BOSTON!!)... and I hope it will be my day =) Happy New Year!

bill.hurley said...

Sarah, You still did fantastic. I am sure you will be great in your next marathon. Great race recap. Happy New year.