Monday, August 29, 2011

12 Weeks - Long Run Recap: Cancelled Triathlon = 20 mile run

Due to Hurricane Irene, I had to adjust my weekend training schedule.

Originally I was suppose to race an Olympic distance triathlon down in Lakeville, MA but it was cancelled on Friday. I was pretty bummed about it since I really trained hard for it this whole summer. The efforts were not wasted tough. I have become leaner from swimming and a stronger runner because of the biking.  

So, I decided to revert back to my marathon training schedule and run the miles that were listed…. and of course, they called for 20 MILES!! 

I met up with a few fellow L Street runners on Saturday morning before Irene made an appearance. They planned to run 15 so I had to add 5 miles somewhere. Jim was kind enough to drop me off 2 ½ miles from the start of our run and picked me up at the same spot. This really helped break up the run  and surprisingly it went very well.

Started off around an 8:30 pace for the first couple miles and then average around an 8:15 pace with the group. The 2 ½ miles back to the car was very painful. I didn’t GU when I should have and my energy was shot. I think I averaged around an 8:40 on the way back. Overall, managed an 8:21 pace...I was happy with that.

All runners know that you are suppose to run your long runs 45-90 seconds SLOWER than your marathon pace. I have been struggling to do that. My goal is to pace around an 8:00 min mile during the Philly Marathon so technically I am suppose to run my long runs around 8:45-9:00 min miles. I know better… but the legs have been feeling really great. Even on Sunday and today, I am not sore at all. I felt like running yesterday actually but played it smart by recovering (which means sitting on the couch watching useless TV instead of swimming in a pool….grrrr)!

Now this makes me think. If my legs feel this strong so early in my training plan, does this mean I can possibly run a sub 8:00 min mile during my marathon plan? Do I just add more miles and still take it easy on the long runs? How does one determine what to do?

I am still new to the marathon world so I guess I will have to see what happens in Philly.  But right now, my plan seems to be really working. I will, however, incorporate some of the Hal Higdon’s marathon plan just to add some more miles. I think I can handle that.

Marathon training in full effect….

PLAN: 20 miles @ 9:00 pace
ACTUAL: 20 miles @ 8:21 pace

No comments: